In a coordinating partnership with the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), SWTWC will support its launch of a new on-the-job training program called CDOT University for current CDOT employees to be better prepared and skilled to handle new and emerging technologies in transportation.
Anticipated Partnership Duration: 2016 – Center Lifetime
Timeline and Overview
The coordinating partnership between CDOT and SWTWC commenced in June 2015 after SWTWC Director Thomas O’Brien and SWTWC Associate Director Tyler Reeb attended a Colorado Department of Transportation Peer Exchange. SWTWC then connected CDOT representative Michael Muszynski with Peter J. Haas from the Mineta Transportation Institute (MTI) at San Jose State University to help CDOT staff form alliances with local Colorado universities, and launch CDOT University. MTI’s Transportation Education is based on educating mobility managers.
After its formal launch, CDOT University will offer training to CDOT employees on an ongoing basis. This will expand state employees’ skillsets, increase the state department’s leverage for recruitment, and help keep the state DOT relevant with new technologies.
- Launch of CDOT University
- On-the-job training facility for CDOT employees
- New program curriculum and template to engage other state DOTs to train staff
- Partnership between CDOT and MTI and other Colorado universities
With CDOT University’s formal launch, the University will serve to recruit, retain, and train highly skilled employees, specific to the transportation needs of the state of Colorado. With documentation of whether employee efficiency, productivity, and retention increased from the implementation of CDOT University, it can also be modeled for other state DOTs to follow in order to address workforce challenges in respective states.
- SWTWC will support the curriculum development so that it is specific for state Colorado employees, and refine the curriculum as needed.
- SWTWC connected Peter J. Haas from MTI to help CDOT University to fruition in a coordinating partnership.
- SWTWC will document the process of developing and implementing CDOT University, and assess the University’s effectiveness.